DIRECTOR GENERAL FOR BIST
BIST is a leading institution of multidisciplinary research encompassing seven Catalan research centres, each with the highest level of excellence in its area of expertise: the Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG), the Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia (IBEC), Institute of Photonic Sciences (ICFO), Institute of Chemical Research of Catalonia (ICIQ), Catalan Institute of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (ICN2), Institute for High Energy Physics (IFAE), and the Institute for Research in Biomedicine (IRB Barcelona).
The BIST mission is to promote excellent research in a multidisciplinary environment. We are committed to the development and training of scientists to maximize science impact in society. BIST aims to become an international reference in excellent research through the right combination of approaches, and to improve Catalonia's competitive position in the global scientific context.
BIST website: https://bist.eu/
BIST Annual Reports: https://bist.eu/about-us/annual-reports/
The Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology (BIST), a leading institution of multidisciplinary research encompassing seven Catalan research centres of excellence, all members of the CERCA system, has opened a search for its next Director General.
Candidates for the position should have a demonstrated capacity to:
- Develop the strategic vision of organisations akin to BIST.
- Develop strong relationships with senior level stakeholders. In the case of BIST, the principal stakeholders are the BIST centres (directors, group leaders and the community at large), the institutional members of the BIST Board of Trustees, and the public administrations.
- Engage with other actors in the Catalan research and innovation ecosystem to develop ambitious joint initiatives for the benefit of all parties, thus reinforcing the role of BIST as a positive catalyst in advancing common goals.
- Pursue collaboration and alliances to strengthen the BIST brand both at home and abroad. This clearly requires an ability to effectively communicate with all stakeholders, as well as the media.
- Lead and manage the development of projects of considerable size and complexity. In the case of BIST this will include the new building for research in biomedicine already under way at the site of the old "Mercat del Peix".
- Engage in fundraising activities to consolidate and expand existing programs, as well as work with the centres, members of the Board of Trustees and sponsors in the development of new initiatives.
In all the above contexts, the candidate should exemplify an awareness and proactive approach to diversity and inclusion in all BIST activities.
Knowledge of the Catalan research and innovation ecosystem, or similar ones in the European or international context, as well as a scientific background, are considered strong assets for the ideal candidate.
**Applicants should send a cover letter and CV to DGSearch@bist.eu by 15 September 2022. Informal inquiries are welcome and may be sent to the same email address. Interviews of short-listed candidates will be conducted during the month of October.
The initial appointment will be for a period of five years, and it can be subsequently extended. Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
BIST is an equal-opportunity employer and particularly encourages women and people from under-represented
Place of work: Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain.