The mission of the Catalan Institute of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (ICN2) is to achieve the highest level of scientific and technological excellence in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. Its research lines focus on the newly-discovered physical and chemical properties that arise from the behavior of matter at the nanoscale. ICN2 has been awarded with the Severo Ochoa Center of Excellence distinction for two consecutive periods (2014-2018 and 2018-2022). ICN2 comprises 19 Research Groups, and 7 Technical Development and Support Units and Facilities, covering different areas of nanoscience and nanotechnology.
Job Title: Research Engineer
Research area or group: Nanoscience Instrument Development Division
Description of Group/Project:
Within the NFFA.EU PILOT European Project, a versatile, user-friendly electrochemical STM (EC-STM) will be set-up in collaboration with Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche (CNR) in Trieste and the Technical University of Munich (TUM). The objective of the project is to extend the range of operando experiments with scanning tunnelling microscopes (STM) to multiphase environments, namely solid/liquid interfaces. To answer a wide range of technical needs for user experiments, an electrochemical microscope will be implemented, to reach high imaging resolution and a great flexibility concerning various electrochemical environments.
Main Tasks and responsibilities:
- Testing of the microscope's components to assure full functionality.
- Installation of the system.
- Adapting the control electronics and software for optimizing user-friendly operation protocols.
- Commissioning of the instrument and perform experiments with the new setup.
Degree in Physics or Engineering
- Professional Experience
Experience in Scanning Tunneling Microscopy instrumentation and operation is mandatory
Candidates must be able to work independently and should have excellent laboratory skills. Excellent knowledge of English (written and spoken), proactivity, team working and strong communication skills are essential.
Summary of conditions:
- Full time work (37,5h/week)
- Contract Length: Temporary (2 years)
- Location: Bellaterra (Barcelona)
- Salary will depend on qualifications and demonstrated experience.
- Support to the relocation issues.
- Life Insurance.
Estimated Incorporation date: as soon as possible
How to apply:
All applications must be made via the ICN2 website and include the following:
- A cover letter.
- A full CV including contact details.
- 2 Reference letters or referee contacts.
Applications will be continuously reviewed. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview.
ICN2 is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion of people with disabilities.