The mission of the Catalan Institute of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (ICN2) is to achieve the highest level of scientific and technological excellence in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. Its research lines focus on the newly-discovered physical and chemical properties that arise from the behaviour of matter at the nanoscale. ICN2 has been awarded with the Severo Ochoa Center of Excellence distinction for two consecutive periods (2014-2018 and 2018-2022). ICN2 comprises 19 Research Groups, 7 Technical Development and Support Units and Facilities, and 2 Research Platforms, covering different areas of nanoscience and nanotechnology.
Job Title: Business Development Officer (Graphene Flagship)
Research area or group: Business and Innovation
Description of Area/Project:
ICN2 Business and Innovation Department mission is to anticipate and provide a response to the challenges faced by the Institute on both the long and short term. ICN2 is committed to consolidating and extending the capacity of the Business Development Area with the aim of providing assistance for ICN2 researchers in developing and maintaining relationships with industry and the business community, with the ultimate goal of commercialising ICN2 technologies.
With a budget of 1 billion Eur, the Graphene Flagship is Europe's biggest ever research initiative. The Flagship's overriding goal is to take graphene, related layered materials and hybrid systems (GRMs) from a state of raw potential to a point where they can revolutionise multiple industries. This may bring a new dimension to future technology and put Europe at the heart of the process, with a manifold return on the investment as technological innovation, economic exploitation and societal benefits.
ICN2 and Graphene Flagship together are looking for a professional dedicated to developing collaborations with industry players, to facilitate and maximise impact into the European economy, on focus on Biomedical Applications.
Main Tasks and responsibilities:
- Proactive development of connections with industry and key stakeholders in the area of Biomedical Applications: company's needs identification and generation of clear proposals for successful technology transfer process.
- Understand the existing project portfolio and evaluate its commercial potential for market adoption. This will include proposing, writing, securing funding for and managing commercialization projects/programs of technologies and any associated IPR.
- Management of patent portfolio through active marketing promotion.
- Attend to networking events and technology display activities with the aim to strength relations with companies, investors and stakeholders in this technological area.
- Provide know-how to researchers and other business development people on how to best enhance commercialization through contract research, IPR licensing, joint ventures and spin-off companies.
Education, Experience, Knowledge and Competences required:
- Master degree in material sciences, electronics or related subject: graphene or nanomaterials is a bonus.
- A broad understanding of the market sectors, value chains, key customer groups and technology suppliers.
- Fluent in English.
- Graphene Biomedical applications background is valued.
- Knowledge of IP management is a must.
- International experience is appreciated.
- Experience in technology transfer activities, business development, especially within new materials or electronics focus on Biomedical sector
- Experience in holding negotiations in the technological field.
- Strong experience working in a business management, product management or a customer-facing role in a company related to biomedical applications, graphene and/or nanomaterials.
- Strong communication skills.
- Project management.
- Team working.
- Negotiation skills.
- Due to the strong multidisciplinary nature of the activities the position requires the capability to work across multiple technological fields.
Summary of conditions:
- Full time work (37,5h/week)
- Contract Length: Temporary contract (End: 30/09/2023)
- Salary will depend on qualifications and demonstrated experience.
- Salary according to the cost of living in Barcelona.
- Support for relocation.
- Life Insurance.
Estimated Incorporation date: September 2021
How to apply:
All applications must be made via the ICN2 website https://jobs.icn2.cat/job-openings/320/business-development-officer-graphene-flagship include the following:
- A cover letter.
- A full CV including contact details.
- 2 Reference letters or referee contacts.
Applications will be continuously reviewed. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview.
ICN2 is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion of people with disabilities.