The mission of the Catalan Institute of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (ICN2) is to achieve the highest level of scientific and technological excellence in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. Its research lines focus on the newly-discovered physical and chemical properties that arise from the behavior of matter at the nanoscale. ICN2 has been awarded with the Severo Ochoa Center of Excellence distinction for two consecutive periods (2014-2018 and 2018-2022). ICN2 comprises 19 Research Groups, 7 Technical Development and Support Units and Facilities, and 2 Research Platforms, covering different areas of nanoscience and nanotechnology.
Job Title: PhD Student
Research area or group: Group NEO-Energy. TOPIC: Energy harvesting + Energy storage
Description of Group/Project:
The NEO-Energy group specialises in the development of nanomaterials for energy applications. We seek to develop Triboelectric Nanogenerators (TENGS) which could be coupled with capacitive energy storage devices (supercapacitors) in a single integrated "harvestorage" device.
Main Tasks and responsibilities:
- Setting up laboratory scale Triboelectric nanogenerators (TENG) and supercapacitors
- Develop nanostructured surfaces of the materials used as electrodes
- Properties characterization and tests of performance
- Design and fabricate an integrated harvesting-storage device.
Have obtained a Master or equivalent degree in Applied Physics, Materials Science, Engineering, Nano, Chemistry
Device set-up and monitoring, electronics, materials
High level of English.
- Professional Experience
A previous professional track is not required. But technical experience in fields related to the topic and/ or short stays in relevant laboratories will be positively valued.
Summary of conditions:
- The candidates pre-selected for this call will need to apply for competitive fellowships in order to secure the funding required to formalise their contract. The ICN2 will provide full support to these candidates for the preparation of their fellowship applications. Candidates who are successful in their applications will be admitted to the ICN2 PhD Programme, and will benefit from:
- Full-time working contract as a PhD researcher. Contracts include medical care under the Spanish public healthcare system and workplace accident insurance.
- Relocation support.
- ICN2 social benefits: life insurance, flexible timetable, flexible compensation package.
- Training and monitoring programme: Students admitted to the ICN2 PhD Programme will have full access to the scientific, technical and transferable skills training and relevant monitoring activities organised each year.
How to apply:
All applications must be made via the ICN2 website and include the following:
- A cover letter.
- A full CV including contact details.
- 2 Reference letters or referee contacts.
Deadline for applications: August 30, 2021
ICN2 is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion of people with disabilities.