The mission of the Catalan Institute of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (ICN2) is to achieve the highest level of scientific and technological excellence in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. Its research lines focus on the newly-discovered physical and chemical properties that arise from the behavior of matter at the nanoscale. ICN2 has been awarded with the Severo Ochoa Center of Excellence distinction for two consecutive periods (2014-2018 and 2018-2022). ICN2 comprises 19 Research Groups, 7 Technical Development and Support Units and Facilities, and 2 Research Platforms, covering different areas of nanoscience and nanotechnology.
Job Title: PhD Student
Research area or group: 'Thermal Properties of Nanoscale Materials' (GTNaM).
Description of Group/Project:
We are looking for a brilliant and highly motivated PhD student with a bias towards experimental research to work in a project that aims to measure the heat capacity and thermal transport of 2D materials by using innovative nanocalorimetric and electrical-based techniques developed (or under development) in our group. The student will participate in these developments aimed to understand the vibrational and phonon-mediated transport properties of those low-dimensional materials at a fundamental level. The work is centered around the current activities of GTNaM and has implications in diverse areas ranging from nanoelectronics, photonics, phononics, to thermal management and energy storage.
Main Tasks and responsibilities:
- During the PhD the candidate will use and develop state-of-the-art electrical-based techniques to measure thermal properties of low-dimensional solids.
- Perform measurements and data analisis of heat capacity and phonon transport in 2D layered materials.
Have obtained a degree in Physics, Physical engineering or related subjects and a Master in any of those disciplines. We will accept if there CV is outstanding students finishing the master by June/September 2022.
- Knowledge in instrumentation, related-software (labview, matlab,...) and home-based measurement techniques.
- Previous activities in micro(nano)fabrication will be a plus.
- Previous experience with electrical-based measurements of thermal properties, such as calorimetry, and/or in 2D layered materials is a bonus.
- Fluent in English
Strong commitment and independence, together with good communication skills and ability to work in multidisciplinary teams and interact effectively with other researchers..
Summary of conditions:
- The candidates pre-selected for this call will need to apply for competitive fellowships in order to secure the funding required to formalise their contract. The ICN2 will provide full support to these candidates for the preparation of their fellowship applications. Candidates who are successful in their applications will be admitted to the ICN2 PhD Programme, and will benefit from:
- Full-time working contract as a PhD researcher. Contracts include medical care under the Spanish public healthcare system and workplace accident insurance.
- Relocation support.
- ICN2 social benefits: life insurance, flexible timetable, flexible compensation package.
- Training and monitoring programme: Students admitted to the ICN2 PhD Programme will have full access to the scientific, technical and transferable skills training and relevant monitoring activities organised each year.
How to apply:
All applications must be made via the ICN2 website and include the following:
- A cover letter.
- A full CV including contact details.
- 2 Reference letters or referee contacts.
Deadline for applications: August 30, 2021
ICN2 is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion of people with disabilities.