The mission of the Catalan Institute of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (ICN2) is to achieve the highest level of scientific and technological excellence in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. Its research lines focus on the newly-discovered physical and chemical properties that arise from the behavior of matter at the nanoscale. ICN2 has been awarded with the Severo Ochoa Center of Excellence distinction for two consecutive periods (2014-2018 and 2018-2022). ICN2 comprises 18 Research Groups, 7 Technical Development and Support Units and Facilities, and 2 Research Platforms, covering different areas of nanoscience and nanotechnology.
Job Title: Senior Postdoctoral Researcher
Research area or group: Theoretical and Computational Nanoscience Group
Description of Group/Project:
The Theoretical and Computational Nanoscience (TCN) displays a twofold activity, mission and impact. First TCN endeavours the theoretical exploration of forefront quantum physics at nanoscale, with the objective to discover novel quantum transport phenomena in the fields of nanoelectronics, spintronics and topological physics. Thanks to the supremacy of developed in-house computational schemes (linear scaling quantum transport schemes), TCN acquires a worldwide leadership in the study of highly complex forms of disordered nanomaterials, which are described by models containing up to a billion atoms, and have been shown essential to unveil nontrivial quantum transport physics in two-dimensional materials and topological matter. Second, the group is harnessing its computational power to support, guide or inspire experimental and technology research. Such activity has resulted over the past 5 years in many collaborations with tens of experimental and theoretical groups as well as large scale industries
Main Tasks and responsibilities:
- Ensure the coordination of the computational developments in the group in all what concerns spin transport in quantum materials.
- Contribute to the activities of TCN in the EU-project (GRAPHENE FLAGSHIP), which consist in simulating spin-orbit torque phenomena in van der Waals heterostructures
- Contribute to the development of novel optimization methods to improve the capabilities of in-house simulation codes of TCN.
- Manage the installation and implementation of in-house simulation codes in TCN computer fat nodes and will have to also apply to HPC call (such as PRACE) when necessary to increase the computational resources needed for the group research.
Phd in Physics
Demonstrated expertise in theoretical modeling of spin transport with a focus on spin Hall and spin-orbit torque physics in two-dimensional materials.
Fluent in English.
- Professional Experience:
Extensive experience in linear-scaling algorithms applied to quantum transport phenomena and their development in massively parallel environments such as supercomputers.
Summary of conditions:
- Full time work (37,5h/week)
- Contract Length: Temporary
- Location: Bellaterra (Barcelona)
- Salary will depend on qualifications and demonstrated experience.
- Support to the relocation issues.
- Life Insurance.
Estimated Incorporation date: May 2021
How to apply:
All applications must be made via the ICN2 website and include the following:
- A cover letter.
- A full CV including contact details.
- 2 Reference letters or referee contacts.
Deadline for applications: 21st April 2021
ICN2 is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion of people with disabilities.