The mission of the Catalan Institute of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (ICN2) is to achieve the highest level of scientific and technological excellence in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. Its research lines focus on the newly-discovered physical and chemical properties that arise from the behavior of matter at the nanoscale. ICN2 has been awarded with the Severo Ochoa Center of Excellence distinction for two consecutive periods (2014-2018 and 2018-2022). ICN2 comprises 18 Research Groups, 7 Technical Development and Support Units and Facilities, and 2 Research Platforms, covering different areas of nanoscience and nanotechnology.
Job Title: Junior Postdoctoral Researcher
Research area or group: Physics and Engineering of Nanodevices
Description of Group/Project:
The Physics and Engineering of Nanodevices (PEN) group (Catalan Institute of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, ICN2) is seeking to appoint a creative and motivated postdoctoral researcher to participate in an ongoing project on spin orbit torques (SOT) using van der Waals heterostructures. The appointed candidate will be responsible for performing epitaxial growth and characterization of 2D ferromagnets and topological insulator compounds of the (Bi,Sb)2(Se,Te)3 family of materials and transition metal dichalcogenides (TMDC). S/he will carry out process development, documentation of processes and implement the required steps to fabricate the devices. S/he will collaborate with the other PEN members in the characterization of the torques using ferromagnetic resonance techniques (ST-FMR) at room temperature and second harmonic measurements with variable temperature. The candidates must have availability to travel to Grenoble, France, to work with our collaborators at Spintec (Dr. F. Bonell).
Main Tasks and responsibilities:
- MBE growth of (Bi,Sb)2(Se,Te)3, transition metal dichalcogenides, and heterostructures based on these materials and metals/insulators with the asistance of the group MBE specialist.
- Performing characterization of the heterostructures, including RHEED, XRD, XPS and ARPES (with the assistance of the responsible Laboratory Engineer).
- Device fabrication
- SOT charactarization by means of ST-FMR and second harmonic measurements
A PhD degree in Physics, Material Science, Nanotechnology or related discipline is required at the time of joining ICN2
- Knowledge, professional experience and competences
Applicants must show motivation, excellent disposition towards challenging research problems and a good level of the English language.
A strong background on solid-state physics and experience in MBE growth, spintronics, electrical characterization and instrument design and development will be highly valued.
Summary of conditions:
- Full time work (37,5h/week)
- Contract Length: Temporary (1 to 2 years)
- Support to the relocation issues.
- Life Insurance.
Estimated Incorporation date: November 2020
How to apply:
All applications must be made via the ICN2 website and include the following:
- A cover letter.
- A full CV including contact details.
- 2 Reference letters or referee contacts.
- Academic records (if the transcripts are not in English, Catalan or Spanish, applicants should also attach a translation in one of the mentioned languages).
Deadline: 16th October 2020. Applications will be evaluated as they are received
ICN2 is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion of people with disabilities.
Candidates interested in the position can send an e-mail to Prof. Sergio O. Valenzuela (SOV@icrea.cat).