Research area or group: Theory and Simulation Group
Description of Group/Project:
The Theory and Simulation Group at ICN2 is offering a software engineer position to work on an interdisciplinary project, developed by ICN2 and BSC-CNS on cutting edge HPC applications. Specifically, the contract is tied to a European Project (the MaX Center of Excellence on Materials Design at the eXascale (http://www.max-centre.eu/) and will be temporary.
Main Tasks and responsibilities:
The candidate will work on the optimization and porting to high-performance hardware of SIESTA (http://icmab.es/siesta) one of the most popular Open Source software for materials science. The candidate will work in close cooperation with the core developers of the code.
- Develop and optimize code using state-of-the-art programming models and distributed paradigms.
- Explore the behavior of the applications on new emerging HPC hardware.
- Coordinate work with other developers of the software.
- Degree in Informatics or similar field
- Knowledge and professional experience
- Linux/UNIX OS, Shell scripting and command line
- Experience with Fortran and python programming languages are a requisite.
- Knowledge, to some extent, about some or all the following programming models:
- MPI (must have)
- OpenMP (must have)
- CUDA (must have)
- High level of English, both oral and written
- Experience with HPC environments, both as user and software developer, are preferable for architectures such as:
- Intel's General Purpose Processors (e.g. Xeon)
- GPUs (NVIDIA preferred)
- Great ability for team work
- Natural proactive character
- Ability to work with strict deadlines and deliverables
Research Career Profile (According to the European Framework for Research Careers):
R1 First Stage Researcher
Summary of conditions:
- Full time work (37,5h/week)
- Contract Length:1 year renewable yearly until 2 years
- Salary will depend on qualifications and demonstrated experience.
- Support to the relocation issues.
- Life Insurance.
Estimated Incorporation date: As soon as possible.
How to apply:
All applications must be made via the ICN2 website and include the following:
- A cover letter.
- A full CV including contact details.
- 2 Reference letters or referee contacts.
ICN2 is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion of people with disabilities.