Research area or group: Research Support Division
Description of Group/Project:
The Catalan Institute of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (ICN2) has recently approved and budged the construction of a dedicated BS-L2 Lab and seeks a talented, enthusiastic individual to work within the BS-L2 Facility as a senior laboratory officer. The facility will address the current growing interest in the experimentation combining of life sciences with phenomena taking place at the nano and micro scales and will enable substantial advances in the research work of ICN2 groups in this field.
The successful candidate is expected to service the activity of the Laboratory and foster the life science research and development at ICN2 promoting the role of the facility as a catalyser to this type of activities.
ICN2 strives for a representative gender balance and equal opportunities at all levels of staff. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Main Tasks and responsibilities:
- Planning and provision of the Laboratory service in response to, and to meet the needs of, ICN2 groups.
- Overall maintenance and implementation of upgrades of the equipment in the Laboratory. The candidate must have the technical expertise for the everyday running and troubleshooting of the equipment and must be able to implement and perform a successful maintenance program to optimize equipment reliability and performance.
- Coordinate with the equipment vendors for tool inspection, and establish reparation and preventive maintenance service contracts, when necessary.
- Oversee the activities of students and research staff to assure proper use of the equipment in the Laboratory.
- Train users on the different experimentation areas of the Lab, on the best safety practices, and help monitor laboratory safety compliance.
- Set up new biological and experimentation protocols and testing first hand any new protocol performed in the facility.
- Understand and comply with ethical, legal and regulatory requirements concerning the biolab activity.
Education, Experience, Knowledge and Competences required:
- The selected candidates should be a Biotechnologist or Biologist with biosecurity, biocontention and cell culture experience
- The candidate should be familiar with BS-L2 Lab protocols.
- The candidate should have several years of research and development experience in Molecular Biology and Cell Culture.
- The candidate should have extensive experience in collaborative research in Molecular Biology and Cell Culture. Experience in project design, technical and financial management will be an advantage.
- Excellent knowledge of English (written and spoken), proactivity, team working and strong communication skills are essential.
Summary of conditions:
- Full time work (37,5h/week)
- Contract Length: 4 years.
- Salary will depend on qualifications and demonstrated experience.
- Salary according to the cost of living in Barcelona.
- Support to the relocation issues.
- Life Insurance.
Estimated Incorporation date: Last months of 2018.
How to apply:
All applications must be made via the ICN2 website and include the following:
- Resume or CV
- Summary of your research experience.
- List of three references with contact details.
Deadline for applications: September 30.
ICN2 is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion of people with disabilities.