Research area or group: Electron Microscopy Unit
Description of Group/Project:
The Electron Microscopy Unit at ICN2 is seeking for a specialized sample preparation technician. This unit has a dedicated sample preparation facility which includes a number of equipment (sputter coater, plasma cleaner, polishing systems, ion mill, diamond saws, optical microscope, etc) and the recruited technician will be responsible of the daily running and maintenance of this facility.
Main Tasks and responsibilities:
- Preparation of electron transparent samples for their subsequent observation by TEM/STEM, both for internal and for external users.
- Processing of samples for SEM observation.
- Overall maintenance and implementation of upgrades of the equipment in the Laboratory. The candidate must have the technical expertise for the everyday running and troubleshooting of the equipment and must be able to implement and perform a successful maintenance program to optimize equipment reliability and performance.
- Oversee the activities of students and research staff to assure proper use of the equipment in the Laboratory.
- Train users on the different techniques available on the lab, both with regards with the achievement of optimal results and on the best safety practices, helping to monitor laboratory safety compliance.
Education, Experience, Knowledge and Competences required:
Education: Degree in Physics, Materials Science, Chemistry, Nanoscience and Nanotechnology or related. A Master in a related field will be a plus.
Professional experience: Minimum 7 years' relevant professional experience in a similar position. The candidate must have extensive experience in preparation of electron transparent samples for TEM observation, both in planar and cross-section geometry, with a myriad of materials. Experience in SEM sample preparation is also required.
Competences: Excellent knowledge of English (written and spoken). Proactivity, team working, organization and strong communication skills are essential.
Summary of conditions:
- Full time work (37,5h/week)
- Salary will depend on qualifications and demonstrated experience.
- Salary according to the cost of living in Barcelona.
- Support to the relocation issues.
- Life Insurance.
How to apply:
All applications must be made via the ICN2 website and include the following:
- A full CV including contact details.
Deadline for applications: 21/10/2018
ICN2 is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion of people with disabilities.