The Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology is a scientific initiative of seven of Catalonia's research centres of excellence whose objective is to increase their levels of collaboration in order to build together a joint scientific project.
PROBIST is a post-doctoral fellowship Program lead by BIST.
The fellowships will be implemented in top research centres in the Barcelona and Tarragona area (Spain):
* Institute of Photonic Sciences (ICFO, https://www.icfo.eu/)
* Institute of Chemical Research of Catalonia (ICIQ, http://www.iciq.org/)
* Catalan Institute of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (ICN2, http://icn2.cat/en/)
* Institute for High Energy Physics (IFAE, http://www.ifae.es/eng/)
* Institute for Research in Biomedicine (IRB Barcelona, https://www.irbbarcelona.org/en)
PROBIST applicants will have complete research freedom. Applicants may subscribe to one or several research topics published with the calls.
The ICN2 topics for the first call are:
C1-07 Visualizing interfacial fields in oxide interfaces by transmission electron microscopy.
C1-08 Atomic Resolution Electron Microscopy: Analysis, 3D Atomic Modelling and Simulation of Energy Nanomaterials.
C1-10 First Principles Theory and Simulations in Nanoscience.
C1-11 Polymer-composites based on Graphene and related materials.
C1-12 Physics and Engineering of Nanodevices.
C1-23 2D Materials & paper-based nanobiosensors for diagnostics applications.
Once pre-selected, candidates shall design their research project proposal with a research group of their choice in the participating BIST centres. Successful candidates will be hosted by the selected research group. They will have full access to facilities, seminars and training programmes of the BIST centres. Networking activities shall facilitate inter-centre and inter-disciplinary exchange and collaborations. PROBIST will offer fellows the opportunity to opt for secondments from a pool of international institutions with which BIST centres have institutional agreements or collaborations.
Summary of conditions:
The fellowships are granted for 3 years including
* Anual gross salary: 36.252,82€ plus a single payment of 1504,89 relocation support (Spanish tax and social security deductions apply).,
* close mentoring and supervision through prestigious Senior Researchers,
* a personalized career development plan,
* a training program for scientific and transferable skills.
* Present complete applications through the on-line application platform on the PROBIST website https://bist.slideroom.com/#/Login before 1 November 2017.
Required documentation and information includes CV, letter of motiviation, filling in application forms and at least two referees presenting reference letters. Please prepare your application on time to meet the strict deadline.
* Having not spent more than 12 months of the prior 36 months in Spain, at the time of the call deadline. You will be required to confirm your compliance through a self-declaration.
* Be in possession of a PhD degree at the time of the call deadline. Please provide evidence when you apply (e.g. scanned PhD-degree or documents that proof having read a successful PhD at the moment of the call deadline).
* Having not been awarded their PhD degree more than 5 years ago, at the time of the call deadline. Exceptions are made for documented justified periods.
* Being first author in at least one publication in an internationally reputed journal at the time of the call deadline. Only accepted and published in print or online papers are eligible.
The evaluation of eligible candidates will be carried out by an external, independent selection panel. The evaluation will be objective, independent, free of conflicts of interest and the selection will be based on merits, equal opportunities and freedom of choice of research.
The review procedure will be carried out in various steps:
* First review general suitability for PROBIST (review 1).
* Invitation of pre-selected candidates to prepare a research proposal with the groups they want to be hosted at. A research proposal that is finally submitted needs to have the hosting commitment by the corresponding GL. Presenting a proposal is a requirement for being invited to the next step (interview).
* Second review: interviews and presentation of the research proposal (review 2).
* Decision on awardees, reserve list and rejected candidatures.
PROBIST has received funding from the European Union's Horizon 2020 Framework Programme for Research and Innovation under grant agreement no. 754510.
More information and access to the application platform can be found on the programme website www.bist.eu/probist.